Due to efforts of Malaviyaji ‘TheLeader’ was founded as an English daily on Vijaya Dashmi October 24, 1909 with Motilal Nehru as Chairman of the Board of Directors of the company and Malaviya himself as editor assisted by Nagendranath Gupta and C.Y. Chintamani. The Leader was the second Indian daily to subscribe to Reuter’s service of foreign news. It soon made its mark as the best equipped newspaper in upper India while its expression of public opinion was acknowledged to be characterized by fairness and moderation. The Leader continued to prosper and by 1929 it came to have spacious modern buildings of its own erected in 1927 at Allahabad at a cost of Rupees two lacs. A rotary press was installed which was capable of printing 30,000 copies of the paper per hour.